The Adele Turner Inn sits quietly tucked away in one of Newport, Rhode Island's most historic neighborhoods, amid two and three-century-old homes. It is quintessential Newport.
Framed by 27 distinctive round-top windows, the elegant Victorian was built in 1855 on the first gas-lit street in America. Adele Turner Inn is also on the National Historic Register.
Adele Turner Inn showcases a luxurious collection of 12 distinctively designed and decorated guest quarters. All room styles feature: private bath, grand king or queen bed, gas fireplace, fine linens, antiques, and an artwork collection highlighted by 10 portraits of Adele Turner -- painted by her daughter, legendary Newport artist Beatrice Turner.
About Adele Turner:
Adele Turner lived in Philadelphia in the winter and summered in Newport, where she died in July of 1940. She was an artist, historian, and philanthropist. She was one of the founding members of The Plastic Club of Philadelphia, America's oldest art club for women.
Adele Turner's summer life centered around her special interests -- all of which were located within several blocks of the Inn at 93 Pelham Street, which now bears her name. Every Sunday morning she spent in Newport, she walked up Pelham Street on her way to Trinity church, where both she and her famous daughter were members. At the top of Pelham Street is the Newport Art Association where she was very active both as an artist and in volunteer work. A block south from there was the Newport Casino complex (now the International Tennis Hall of Fame) where she attended the first night of every production each summer at the Casino Civic Theater. Heading north 2 blocks is the Newport Historical Society, another of her favorite haunts.
Adele Turner came from an impressive line of noted Philadelphia ancestors. She was the eighth in line from Francis Daniel Pastorious founder of Germantown, Pennsylvania and fifth in line from Jacob Shallus, who penned the constitution of the United States. She was also descended from Francis Shallus, founder and generalissimo of the Improved Order of Red Men. She was a member of the Colonial Dames of America, the Newport Art Association, and the Newport Historical Society. She died in July 1940, shortly after attending the Casino Civic Theater opening, as had been her annual custom.
There is a plaque in the Philadelphia Art Museum commemorating the permanent trust fund set up in the names of "Adele Haas Turner and Beatrice Pastorious Turner" as benefactors of a trust fund designed for the purchase of American contemporary art for the museum. Their bequest has been used since 1948 for the purchase of paintings by some of the best known artists of the twentieth century.